Creative Designer (1-year contract)
Singapore, Central Singapore, SingaporeProduct Design
Who we are
Open Government Products is an experimental tech start-up team within the government that builds technology for public good. We proactively identify areas where technology can help, test our prototypes with actual users, and bring our best ones to launch.
In the pursuit of innovation, we move quickly, take risks and fail fast if we must - scaling what works in order to deliver maximum value to the public. By keeping our citizen users at the heart of all our products, we focus on solving real problems through good governance. This means actively pushing for transparency across the government, modernising and streamlining traditional processes, and bypassing bureaucracy if needed.
We work in small cross-functional product teams, usually with 5 - 8 members consisting of product designers, engineers, product managers, and data analysts. To maximise ownership and team collaboration, we believe in keeping a flat hierarchy for faster decision-making.
You will work on meaningful projects that solve problems pertinent to our society, from transportation, to education, to healthcare. The public sector is full of opportunities where even the simplest software can have a big impact on people’s lives. You will have direct ownership of your work with over 70% of our projects starting as ground up initiatives. Rather than working on commercial ventures commonly found in the startup scene, we're here to improve how we live as a society through what we can offer as a government.
Projects we have worked on include:
COVID-19 Crisis Management – Developing digital tools to manage the spread of the pandemic, including the nationwide registration and booking of vaccination appointments. prioritising at-risk individuals, and designing for inclusivity.
Scamshield – An app that automatically filters scam messages from unknown contacts by running it through ScamShield’s on-device classifier and filter calls from numbers used in illegal activities. Users can also report scammers that may have slipped through.
Data.gov.sg – An open repository of all the Singapore Government's public data. It helps people understand the data using visualizations and articles, and provides real-time APIs for developers to use.
Parking.sg – A mobile app alternative to parking coupons. It lets users pay, extend, and refund their parking sessions just using their phones.
FormSG – A form builder tool for agencies to self-service and create online forms that capture classified data, with the goal of replacing paper forms.
Isomer – Isomer provides government agencies with an easy-to-deploy static website building and hosting service to create usable, secure and faster informational websites quickly.
PaySG – PaySG was developed to enable digital payments for government services, and was initially used for payments for COVID-19 swab tests and Stay-Home Notices for incoming travellers to Singapore.
An overview of all our other products can be found on our website.
What does a Creative Designer do?
Do you believe that the government can communicate with the public more effectively than it currently does? Do you think you have the skills to do so? We are seeking an exceptional designer who will be responsible for simplifying the communication of complex products and policies, with the goal of improving the way that the government communicates with the public.
- Conceptualize and develop visual assets for marketing collaterals that explain and visualize government policies and initiatives.
- Collaborate with product teams, including product designers, product managers, engineers, product operations specialists, and policy teams in the fintech and scamtech spaces, to promote OGP products and programs.
- Develop branding and graphics for the products and programs.
- Collaborate with other corporate and marketing functions from OGP, government agencies, and their contractors to run nationwide marketing campaigns, such as anti-scam campaigns.
About the team
We are the fintech and scamtech vertical in Open Government Products. We aim to improve payments and disbursement (vouchers, items) experience for the citizens as well as align government anti-scam efforts by securing core communications channels that government uses to engage and contact citizens. Some of the products we develop - RedeemSG, PaySG, Scamshield and other tools that public officers use to communicate with citizens.
What it is like working here
- Rapid Prototyping. Instead of spending too much time debating ideas, we prefer testing them. This identifies potential problems quickly, and more importantly, conveys what is possible to others easily.
- Ownership. In addition to technical responsibilities, this means having opinions on what is being done and having ideas on what should be done next. Building something that you believe in is the best way to build something good. We try to encourage individuals to work on projects that genuinely interest them.
- Continuous Learning. Working on new ideas often means not fully understanding what you are working on. Fridays are set aside for you to take time to learn new architectures, frameworks, technologies, and any other skills that may be useful to your work.
- Open communication. As an organisation, we are continuously growing and trying to improve the way we work. We maintain a culture where everyone's voice can be heard. We regularly review our policies so that we can create a healthy and inclusive working environment for individuals of all backgrounds.
Also, we're Great Place to Work™ certified!
Who we are looking for:
- 3 to 4 years of experience in creative designing. Prior work and personal projects matter more than specific degrees or years of experience. A portfolio and past work are the most important qualifications
- We are looking for strong skills in visual direction and graphic design
- Interest in UI/UX and product design is a plus, as we are working in the product space
- Copywriting skills are a great plus, as they can help with copy, slides, UX writing, and communications to citizens
- Illustration skills, social media experience, video / motion graphics skills, marketing experience are a plus
- Experience in creating visually appealing government collaterals is a plus
Overall we look for people who have ability, initiative, good communication, and an interest in public good.